Every New Year, we commit to staying healthy to feel our best. But did you realize that feeling your best includes seeing your best too? Learning about glaucoma is a great addition to your healthy list this year! Your eyes will thank you for it. Here are 5 things to know about glaucoma.
1. Glaucoma can cause vision loss and blindness and has no cure. Glaucoma causes fluid to build up in your eye, causing pressure that can damage the optic nerve. But you can save your vision with early detection and treatment.
2. There are no early symptoms. Glaucoma often has no early warning signs. No pain. No discomfort. No blurry vision. Only advanced glaucoma will affect your vision. Don’t wait for symptoms to visit your eye doctor!
3. In the United States, half the people with glaucoma don’t know they do. Lack of awareness and the absence of symptoms prevent early detection. Find out if you have glaucoma by scheduling an exam.
4. Some people are at higher risk than others. People with a family history of glaucoma, African-Americans over the age of 40, and Hispanics/Latinos over 60 have higher risks.
5. There is only one way to know if you have glaucoma – a comprehensive dilated eye exam. This exam will look for signs of the disease in the optic nerve.